Wednesday, March 16, 2011

To the tune of..."Wild Thing" (from my birth year--1966)


Wild thing


(ba-da-ba-da-da) That's the song I'd sing


(ba-da-ba-da-da) Like Paul, I'd make it all...groovy


Wild thing


So, this week the Idol hopefuls sang songs from the year of their birth, and no other single television broadcast makes me feel so old. This is the first year when some of the contestants are actually younger than my oldest child, thus marking the time when my grasp on all that is cool slowly began to loosen. I think 1993 was the last year I could both name and sing just about every song on America's Top 40 (remember that?).


Not sure if this week's performances deserve the same detailed break-down as last week, because really, the Lusky Stank seemed to permeate most of them. (And, sorry Jacob, refuse to use the word "stank" in any positive context.) Seriously, up until the moment Stefano sang, I was wondering if something hadn't gone horribly wrong with the Idol sound system. I once had to sit through a 4th & 5th grade talent show that included no fewer than 4 10-year-olds singing Rihanna songs, and it was measurably more pleasant than half of the performances tonight. Naima, Karen and Lauren were pitchier than Roy Halladay on a Sunday afternoon.


Instead, I'll leave you with questions to ponder and--if you wish--discuss in the comments below:


1. Did anyone else get hints of Heat Meiser in Casey's performace?

2. Did it seem like Pia really cared where broken hearts go?

3. Is there any doubt--any at all--that Thia sang that song in at least one middle school talent show?

4. Don't you think that side of Scotty McCheesy's face would get tired after a while?

5. Would luminol illuminate Paul's invisibl marionette? How creepy/cool would that be?


Bottom three: Karen, Lauren, and...Paul(?)

Going home: Karen--I have a feeling her performance will lead her back. Home.

1 comment:

  1. 1. Hadn't thought of Heat Meiser until now, yes perfect description. He just needs some hair gel to spike him up.
    2. The girl can sing but, no depth.
    3. Cracking up!
    4. He's got a great voice, but he reminds me of Ronald McDonald.
    5. Cracking up again! Grant said the exact same thing last night and then gave me a five minute dance impression that made me laugh so hard I cried. Someone needs to show Paul a video of himself, seriously!
    And I agree, Karen or Haley. But Karen is my vote to get the boot, admire her ability to sing in both languages but this is American Idol, not I can sing in Spanish Idol.

    ReplyDelete