Thursday, October 20, 2011

I Have a Book Signing on Saturday




This weekend is LifeWay's Fall Fiction Event, where Christian ficion authors all over the country will be sitting just inside the doorway of LifeWay Christian stores all across the country signing their latest release. And I'll be one of them.




Before my first novel, I--like most pre-published authors--dreamt of The Book Signing. Hordes of people lined up at the table...outside the door...around the corner...down the block. Never once did I imagine huge blocks of time punctuated by strangers trying desperately not to make eye contact with me, steering their children away, suddenly needing to be somewhere else--anywhere else. Like, over there, the spinning rack of tiny, blank cards.




I've had some disastrous signings. The one with the hurricane, where the brave employess of LifeWay and I watched shopping carts go blowing by against the back-drop of an ever-blackening sky. Or the one scheduled on Texas' Tax-Free weekend, where the brave employees of Family Christian Store and I watched shoppers scurry in and out of Old Navy with passles of restless children and cranky teens. Or the one at the little store when no.bo.dy. came.




So, am I plagued with doubt, trepidation, insecurity and fear? Nope. Because, really, it's all still very, very cool. I have a fabulous, highly-anticipated, amazing book, Forsaking All Others. And I am so blessed to represent my strong, faithful team at Tyndale. There'll be a table and chair (chairs if I have a friend come hang out with me), a bottle of water or cup of coffee or both! I'll sit behind a gi-normous stack of my books--the final form of the story God gave me.




Saturday, from 11am-1pm, I'll be exactly where God has brought me.

No comments:

Post a Comment