Wednesday, May 6, 2009

When Idol Rocks...

Disclaimer: I did watch this episode under the increasing pressure of a looming deadline, so I apologize in advance for the disproportionate crankiness.

I was soooo looking forward to this episode, because I'm a Rock-n-Roll girl at heart. And then--wham! Somebody in my family must have hit the channel button and switched us over to one of those childbirth shows on the LifeTime Network. But, no, it was just Danny s(cream)inging. Sheesh, that was awful. And I thought his attitude toward their criticism was awful, too. I hope he did go back and watch that tape. Over and over. Or at least twice. I mean, we had to hear that final note twice, didn't we? How could he possibly not know how bad that was? And I thought he was awful in the duet with Kris, too. Not his singing, which was just as moderately adequate as it's been all season, but again, his attitude. No attempt to engage or really sing "together." You could see Kris trying to work into his space, but Danny wouldn't even look at him. But, back to Aerosmith: there's only one logical reason behind his decision to sing that song: Hubris. All these weeks of undeserved praise have given him an imaginary range... Poor boy, maybe his life of church music left him too sheltered, and he mistook being mentored by Slash as auditioning for a slasher film.

Sorry, like I said, I get cranky when a deadline looms...

Adam was freakishly awesome,and I think properly humbled by last week's bottom three placement, and watching him sing with Allison was really a joy. You could see that neither of them were threatened by the other. It was like watching some FogHat tribute concert with seasoned singers. But, you know...Allison just doesn't seem 17 to me. I totally see her like the 38-year-old truckstop waitress who finally gets to belt one out after some talent scout accidentally overhears her singing with the juke box one night as she's mopping up the floors. Like Susan Boyles with cooler hair.
But she sooooo deserves to be in the finals over Danny.

And, I actually liked what Kris did last night--he was the only one who really did any kind of original arrangement. (Besides Adam's performance from the final act of Zeppelin: The Musical and Danny's arrangement from Aerosmith meets Freddy Kreuger). I'm just really hoping that Kris got all of Matt's votes.

So, if you hear a mysterious, tortured scream wafting on the breeze, it's just me screaming at the injustice of Kris going home. Or, your DVR kicked in and it's replaying Danny's final note...

1 comment:

  1. You crack me up! I enjoy your "disproportionate crankiness"! Adds a little spice to your blog. I shouldn't have read it yet, though, have it dvr'd...

    ReplyDelete